Sat

• 4:30 PM - 9:00 PM

Closed now

Sun

• 4:30 PM - 8:45 PM

Amenities and More

Ask the Community

• Q:

Is there a minimum charge for booking tatami?

A:

I believe it was $250 not including the mandatory 18% tip.

Haley W. 
      1 year ago
    • Q:

Do they take reservation?

A:

Yes but only for parties of 6 or more.

Sean P. 
      1 year ago 4 people found this helpful

Recommended Reviews

Photo of Username
    Username
    Choose a star rating on a scale of 1 to 5
    • 1 star rating
      Not good
    • 2 star rating
      Could’ve been better
    • 3 star rating
      OK
    • 4 star rating
      Good
    • 5 star rating
      Great
    Start your review of Rantei Japanese Cuisine

Overall rating

950 reviews

5 stars

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

1 star

• Photo of Janelle ..
      Janelle ..
      San Francisco, CA
      May 4, 2024

Wonderful experience! I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and they brought out the food in a timely manner and was super organized. They were always there to help. Note: there is a bit of a wait so come early to put your name down!

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Eunsuh L.
      Eunsuh L.
      Manhattan, New York, NY
      Apr 20, 2024

I've been here multiple times and all the dishes are so good here. Their services are so great! There can be long line during weekends but it moves pretty fast.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 1
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Chris P.
      Chris P.
      West San Jose, San Jose, CA
      Apr 15, 2024

Excellent food and great service!
      We had sushi omakase and chirashi don special. Both were fresh and delicious.
      Will come back definitely.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Grace F.
      Grace F.
      Los Angeles, CA
      May 28, 2024

So tasty! We came here for dinner on Mother's Day weekend as my mom loves Japanese faire fare and we were recommended this restaurant by a friend.

They had several tatami rooms and we were able to reserve one which offered more privacy. Otherwise, the main dining area was quite crowded but it just depends on the ambience you prefer.

The service was quite fast and the servers were attentive. We ordered the salmon collar, three skewers (pork, chicken, and beef tongue), scallop roll, salmon toro and yellowtail toro sashimi, chicken teriyaki, and two chirashi style dishes - the Kaisen Don and Chirashi Don Deluxe.

Everything tasted amazing! I don't usually love skewers as they can get dry when not cooked right but all the meats were so juicy and had lots of flavor. The salmon collar was so fatty and succulent, and the sashimi and roll were great quality. They did forget to bring out the chicken teriyaki until we asked at the end but it wasn't a huge deal as we were busy trying all the other yummy food we ordered and we eventually got it.

The stars of the night were the chirashi bowls. Super cute presentation in the bamboo boxes with little wooden spoons. The quality of fish was great and everyone loved it! This was definitely worth the try and I think my mom really enjoyed it!

Helpful 1
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Melinda Rose C.
      Melinda Rose C.
      Carmel Valley, San Diego, CA
      May 27, 2024

Food:

I got a chirashi don and the fish was fresh, but nothing unexpected. I also ordered a tako wasabi and it was hella fishy at first, which is weird because I've had better at a udon shop.

I waited 25+ minutes; I probably should have ordered a better appetizer.

I would not come again unless I was going there for a company dinner where I wouldn't have to pay. The food is pretty good but not worth the price tag unless u're an instagram blogger here for photos. The servers and person making the sushi were pretty nice.

Helpful 1
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Joyce L.
      Joyce L.
      San Mateo, CA
      May 25, 2024
      1 check-in

Not to be a hater, but I think it's just an ordinary Japanese restaurant. This doesn't match the raving reviews they have been receiving.

First, they used too much coffee in their curry katsu sauce, making it bitter to enjoy, and i also didn't taste any sweetness in it.

The $65 sashimi omasake was not worth it. I expected all sashimi, not ikura with rice and baby squid with seaweed.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the grill beef tongue ($14). Although it came out lukewarm, but it was flavorful and grilled perfectly.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Danica R.
      Danica R.
      Milpitas, CA
      May 25, 2024

First timer coming here. Parking is not too bad, you could also find street parking, if you're lucky. But the parking lot has a good amount of space. Came here on a Thursday night to celebrate a couple birthdays and the space inside is not too bad. There is a bar section, some open tables, and a couple of private rooms where you have to take off your shoes before stepping in. We opted for the private room and it definitely felt similar to how you would dine in Japan in a ryokan or a more traditional restaurant.

We ordered the garlic edamame, Kaisen don and the omakase sushi. We also ordered the Hana Fuji Apple sake, but they gave us the pineapple one instead. It was good, but we were keen on the Fuji Apple flavor, so pretty disappointed in them for mixing it up. But it's not that big of a deal. Moving on to the food, they were simply delicious! The fish were buttery, smooth, and the uni was delectable! It didn't have a strong fishy smell and taste. It was so creamy, which is what you should taste. The edamame was also delicious. It had just the right amount of garlic flavor.

My only complaint would be a bit more attentive service. Everyone was nice, but we were forgotten for a while after we got seated. We asked for straws, but our server never came back with it until we asked a lady for straws. She got it within a few minutes. The guy who gave us our waters realized after maybe 10-15 minutes that we were ready to order, and got someone else to take our order. But the service was still good overall and we still had a great experience!

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Emily H.
      Emily H.
      Sunnyvale, CA
      May 25, 2024

Hands down, the absolute best sushi restaurant in the Bay Area!!! There is usually a little bit of a wait but not too bad. I've been here 3+ times but only finally wrote a review, don't know why it took me this long. I've ordered the Rantei roll twice, the Chirashi don deluxe twice, and the temkai every single time. The ikura in the chirashi don is so sweet and delicious and perfectly salty. How do they do it? I really like the temaki because you can taste the seaweed and there's usually fried shallots which add a really nice flavor. The only downside is that it's hard to share with more than 2 people but is absolutely delicious and a must order. The Rantei roll is out of this world and the so was the Bay scallop and Ginza roll that we tried this time. The omakase sashimi is so good and I love that you get the ikura. The only thing we didn't like is the crab in the middle. It tasted very fishy and the texture was stringy.
      The fish at Rantei is so fresh and tender. Everything is melt in your mouth and almost butter like. No matter if it's sashimi or in a roll the quality is top notch. The service here is decent as well, the food doesn't take too long to come out. The only thing is if you want to add more food it takes a while to flag a waiter down and place your order. Overall the place is kept nice and clean, nothing too special but the food is phenomenal. Highly recommend.

Helpful 0
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Mandi F.
      Mandi F.
      San Mateo, CA
      Apr 22, 2024

You've seen the reviews, the line outside, the social posts. They're really good.

My sister came to babysit so of course that means sushi for our date night.

We ordered the:
      1. Softshell crab. Delicious.
      2. Agedashi tofu. Also delicious.
      3. One kaisendon. Ditto.
      4. Two omakase sashimi. Ditto.

We could've gone with one omakase sashimi instead of two. I'm glad we didn't get the nigiri. It didn't look as nice as the sashimi from a presentation perspective in my opinion. We had so much rice from our kaisendon that it all balanced out.

Helpful 3
      Thanks 0
      Love this 3
      Oh no 0
    • Photo of Bup N.
      Bup N.
      Cambrian Park, San Jose, CA
      May 21, 2024

Been here a couple of times now, and each time has been great. The place gets extremely busy, especially on weekends, so do expect to wait. With our dine in experience, even when we got there right when it opened, our wait was about 20 minutes or so (given that people already had reservations)...but honestly, I would prefer 20 minutes than 1+ hour (which is what happened to us when we attempted to do a walk-in at random hours). Lesson learned for sure.

We always get their kaizen don and their omakase and needless to say, it tastes as good as it looks. Tried take-out last night and by the time we got home, it was still so fresh. They're pretty much accurate w/ their timing for pick-up so make sure you ask if they don't already tell you. Even on a Monday evening doing take-out, expect to wait.

Staff are attentive and helpful but the front can be a little hectic. We've always done street parking but I'm sure you'll be able to find nearby parking lots if you don't wanna do that.

Helpful 1
      Thanks 0
      Love this 0
      Oh no 0

26 other reviews that are not currently recommended

Collections Including Rantei Japanese Cuisine

People Also Viewed

Rantei Japanese Cuisine is a Yelp advertiser.